What's new
Medical Marketing Forums

The #1 Medical Marketing Forum & Marketplace

Are you a medical professional or business owner? A webmaster? Need support with your online marketing tasks? Join the newest community targeted for marketing enthusiasts.

What do you do when your desired domain name is taken?

Aarav Patel

TM$
Do you try to find another extension? Say the .com is taken and you'll use .co? Try another option? Buy the domain from the owner?

I usually stick to the .com option. Have purchased .net or .org before, but it's usually because the domains had pretty high DR (Domain Rating) and a hefty backlink profile. Otherwise I'll try to either use a dash or find something similar. For my main business, webdesignnj.com, this domain was taken and they'd ask 800 bucks for it, being "premium". I used web-design-nj.com for a while and, when the price dropped to 150, I purchased the desired domain and redirected the one with dashes. I'd have been content without it as well, but it was a good opportunity.

Domain extension does not matter in search engine ranking, however, the word you use for your domain name actually matters in terms of SEO value. Therefore, you should not compromise with the name but you can use other alternative domain extensions. For example, if you cannot find dot com, you can try other popular options like dot net, dot info, etc.

Back